Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Supposed To's

Recently I have been made aware of "supposed to's". As long as I can remember, I have felt like there was something I was supposed to do, some major contribution I was supposed to make to the betterment of mankind. I was raised in a Christian home, and most of my family on my dad's side were either ministers or married to ministers, so naturally I thought that I would follow the same path. However, I never could seem to get that to happen. I struggled along with life, married rather young, had a child, never quite feeling like I had found that thing that I was "supposed" to do.

For years I went to church like I was supposed to, stayed married to the same person like I was supposed to, went to work every day, church a couple times a week, just like I was supposed to. One day I realized that I was completely unhappy with my supposed to life. I started feeling like maybe there was something more than what I was being told in church. Maybe there was something more than my supposed to life. I started reading books that were controversial to say the least in my supposed to world. I realized there was a lot more out there than I was experiencing in my supposed to world.

Eventually I left my supposed to world and made a new life for myself. I found that the only thing I am supposed to do is be happy, and that was the one thing I never allowed myself to do before. In my supposed to world, it was only important for other people to be happy, not me. How many times in my supposed to world did my church leaders say that the order of importance was Jesus first, others second, yourself last. That was my world. I thought Jesus would be happy that I was giving up my own personal happiness for others, but when I asked for help changing my supposed to life, I felt alone. Now I realize that my happiness is up to me. If there is something in my life that needs changing, the only one that can change it is me. Now I will be the first to say that there is help out there in the NonPhysical world from our Angels, Guides, Masters, and other Beings of Love and Light. But they are never going to tell me what I am supposed to be doing.

I guess I thought of this the other morning on my way to work when I asked my Angels if I really was going in the direction I was supposed to be going. I heard the answer loud and clear.. there are no "supposed to's". My Angels said to me, ask Us for help and We will gladly give it to you, but We will never tell you what you are supposed to do. That is up to you. You are the Creator of your life. Never feel like you are off the path. You are the one who decides. When you decide on a path, We will move Heaven and Earth to help you. We will inspire you, suggest things to you, throw books or people onto your path to lead you in the direction that is in your best interest, but it is always up to you to decide what is best for you. Your emotional guidance system is the best way you can know if you are going in the right direction for you. If you feel joy in your heart, then you are doing what is best for you.

Having been an addict of "supposed to's", I know this will not be easy. But it is a direction I am willing to try. I am sure I will forget from time to time. I am not an advocate of shirking my responsibilities. I still go to work every day, I still come home to my husband. But I don't do those things because I am supposed to. I do them because I want to. I am happily free from "supposed to's".......

No comments:

Post a Comment