Monday, October 25, 2010

The House Plant with a Dream

I have this little game I like to play with the Angels. I will breathe in and out a little, and then focus on something that comes into my field of vision. And then I will ask the Angels for a message pertaining to whatever has jumped out at me or presented itself to me. One time I wrote an entire blog about the pen that was sitting on my desk. The Angels can give me a message about anything, and it's always something relevant.

So last week I was doing a different job at the Post Office where I work. I had a couple of occasions when I was in between tasks and so I took a minute and played this game. I ended up with three separate blogs just on small messages from the Angels relating to something I looked at or something that came to my mind. This is the first one I have had time to write about.

This particular message from the Angels came to me when I happened to look at the plant that was sitting on the desk in front of me. There are several small plants done up in an arrangement and my focus happened to land on this plant. It seems to be flourishing and enjoying its environment. There is a window for light and also those fluorescent lights that grace most businesses. They say plants love them. And it gets water once a week or so. All of its needs are taken care of. The first thing I wondered was whether it sensed the energy of the different postal patrons that happen in and out of the office. Some are getting passports as they plan for trips overseas, some are ordering keys for apartments they have just moved into. Some are complaining. The energy of each customer is unique. I am wondering if the plants can sense the urgency of the needs of these customers. I am also wondering if the life in the plant helps to soothe the energy when it gets tense.

The next question that comes to mind is that I wonder whether the plant ever looks outside and dreams of a life free from the confines of its container. In the pot that is its home, all its needs are met. However, it is a bit snug in its small container. I wonder if it ever dreams of a life in, perhaps a rain forest, free from containment, free from the boundaries of a pot, experiencing real rain and real sunshine.

However, in a rain forest, there would be new challenges. There would be the danger of being eaten by animals. There would be the danger of bugs, or worms, or drought. Perhaps a team of large heavy equipment could one day show up and level its home. But it would be free. It would experience the exhilaration of real live sunshine and real live rain. I remember my house plant that has lived its entire life from inside a store window until I placed it in front of my window, where it lived for several years, until this year when the weather got warm, I decided to place it outside for the summer. And for the first time in the five or six years of owning this plant, it bloomed these wonderful purple flowers. I believe it was the plant's way of thanking me for the experience of real life.

I guess in a way sometimes I feel like a plant in a pot. I go to work every day at the Post Office, and I dream of someday being able to make a living doing what I love to do, writing, or doing journeys or teaching others the things I have learned about the unseen world. But that would come with its own challenges. I guess my lesson for today from the Angels is that just like the plant graces the Post Office with its presence and perhaps lifts the energy there as it transmutes the energy from the variety of customers there, I too have my job there. Maybe one day I will find myself transplanted into a different environment, but until then I will bloom where I am planted. I will thank the Angels for providing me with a way to finance my life and I will write and journey and teach others the things I have learned and perhaps one day I will find myself transplanted into a different environment. Either way it is all good.

1 comment: