Monday, November 23, 2009

Play Time

This weekend my daughter Felicia and my grandson Hayden who is just turning four came up for a visit. It was my grandson’s birthday and also my husband’s and I was having a party for the two of them. I don’t get to see my grandson often so it was great fun watching all the changes since the last visit. I was busy vacuuming and cleaning and preparing for the party, but Hayden was continually calling for me to play with him or write with him. At first I kept saying to him, “wait just a minute, grandma is cleaning, or grandma is cooking or grandma is making tea, or….”

Two things came to my mind. I remember my mom when I was little. She was always busy doing this or that. She never sat to watch tv with us or just hang out with us. It was always something important and I didn’t begrudge her for it until I was older. The second thing that I thought of was actually a bible story from my church going days. In this story Jesus goes to the house of two sisters, Martha and Mary. While Martha is busy preparing the food, Mary sits at the feet of Jesus and listens to him talk. After awhile Martha gets angry and actually asks Jesus to tell her sister to get up and help. Jesus reprimands her and tells her that Mary has chosen the better thing. I guess what lesson the Angels were trying to tell me was that I needed to lighten up and not worry if the house was not spotless and everything was not picture perfect. I had a grandson who was wanting my attention and I will not always have this opportunity to just sit on the floor and roll the ball or play with cars and trains. I am sure my daughter will remember that I always seemed to be busy when she was little and didn’t spend a lot of play time with her, but this was a mistake. There will always be dust on the floor and there will always be dishes to wash. I need to play with my grandson.

I think the same thing applies to the Spirit. Sometimes we just get too busy to stop and just listen. There are deadlines to meet, there are clothes in the washing machine, and I still need to go to the gym today. And there are our Angels and Guides, just waiting to communicate. We just have to spend time connecting.

Don't let time get away. Remember what is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment