Friday, December 17, 2010

Spread Some Joy

This blog is for those of us who are having a bad day, or a bad week. This morning I woke to find that my thumb is twice its normal size and quite infected. I have to miss an hour or so of work to probably have it cut open and drained. Then I went to the kitchen to fix myself some chai and I used my last tea bag which promptly burst and all the little tea leaves dispersed into my cup. Due to lack of sleep revolving around my throbbing thumb, I have not made it to the gym in several days. Previously I had attempted to do my weight routine at home and inadvertently dropped a fifteen pound weight on my head. No I don't seem to be any smarter.

So this morning I got an email from a friend with a cute little story of Santa's bad day. All his reindeer ran away, his elves got sick, they hid his secret stash of cider, and on and on. Then a little Angel appeared at the door bringing him a Christmas tree. I replied to my friend.. thanks for being my Angel.

I guess my point for this little story is that we don't know what our friends or family or even a stranger on the street is going through. Perhaps they stubbed their toe this morning, woke up late, lost their keys, their coffee was cold, or their car would not start. We can be that little Angel that brightens their day. Just a smile, a friendly word, or even just holding the door open for someone with their hands full could chase away the disaster fairies.

Do you ever feel like chaos accumulates? One bad thing sets your day off wrong and the rest of the day seems like a snowball of monstrous events? Perhaps it is our thoughts starting off in a bad direction and it is hard to break away from the direction of those thought processes. But then an Angel appears and does something nice for us and it breaks the cycle. We realize that it is not such a bad day after all and there are people in the world who love us and at least I still have a thumb. There are people who don't.

Thanks to all my wonderful friends who send me sweet emails and tell me how much they love me when I am feeling out of sorts. Thanks to my daughter who cleaned out the driveway of snow accumulation last evening when I came home from work. Thanks to my hubby who picked up my grandson from school when it closed and my daughter and I did not have to leave work to get him.

Today think about being the Angel for someone having a bad day. At this time of year there are many who are stretched thin from the stress of the holidays, work, money worries, or maybe someone who they loved has passed, or maybe they have recently been diagnosed with an illness. We don't know what is going on in the lives of those around us. Let's spread some love and joy to our fellow man.

No comments:

Post a Comment